PCOMP Final - Take 1

PCOMP Final – Take 1

As I mentioned in the previous blog post, I’m making a book!

Or a prototype of a page for a book at least. In conjunction with ICM, I’m making a pop-up book that controls the environment of the reader by manipulating a projected scene and altering the lighting. It should work somewhat like so –

pcompfinal_systemdiagram

And look similar to this –

img_4674

And it’s coming along! But not as quickly as I’d like unfortunately….

I’m still trying to stick to the schedule I made up for this is November –

img_4722

But I’m pretty sure I underestimated the realities of how long certain things would take.

On the positive side however, I’ve thus far laid out all of my interactions on a breadboard with a sample set up sensors, using photo cells and buttons to represent the switches I’ll be constructing. I wanted to make sure I had a handle on the micro controller I was experimenting with (the adafruit feather) before I moved forward and bought one with Bluetooth.

img_4706

This worked fine, but I’m discovering that I may need to change the threshold for the photocells for every room I’m in. Hopefully I’ll get a little more control over this once the system itself is controlling the lighting but I’m not sure on that one yet. Also because I want my circuit to be hidden within the page, I’ve also been playing with copper tape and conductive paint. I’ll be using an exposed broken line of tape that the user then completes whenever they place an element backed with conductive paint over it. This will act as my switch that will trigger sounds and actions.

More on the ICM side, I’ve also been trying to figure out the API for the Philips hue bulbs. I started out just connecting to them through their own app but then moved forward to communicating with the bulbs through the available debugging tool. I can talk to them! And found a javascript library for the Hue and now have to figure out how to plug it in to my p5 sketch.

I think I’m at a point now where I just need to actually construct an entire version of it rather than pieces. I bought my parts while I was home over break and discovered that Microcenter does price matching! That and borrowing the Hue system from the equipment room saved me a few dollars but here is a bill of materials thus far not taking those into consideration.

bom_pc_final

There will be some costs associated with actual construction but I’ll also be working with materials already owned and will update this in the future to more accurately reflect everything spent.